Truth about Aspirin & Paracetamol
If you ever taken Painkillers, you must read this Article.
” In UK alone 650 millions prescriptions are written every years, and the total cost has doubled in the last ten years to 7 Billion Sterling pound. The US annual drug bill is a staggering $200 billion.
In UK $260 million sterling pound is spent each year on painkillers such as aspirin and paracetamol.
Salicylic acid, the active ingredient in aspirin and other painkillers, is a gastrointestinal irritant, increasing the permeability of the gut wall. This in turn upsets the absorption of nutrients, allowing incompletely digested foods to pass into the bloodstream, alerting the immune system and triggering allergy responses to common food. In the long term, this weakens the immune system, encourages inflammation and burns up vital vitamins and minerals needed for healthy immunity, as well as triggering intestinal bleeding.
The alternative is Paracetamol, of which 4 billion tablets are taken worldwide every year. While Paracetamol does not irritate the gut like aspirin, it is bad news for the Liver. As a result, in UK alone, 30,000 people a year end up in hospital as a result of taking paracetamol.
In 1994 in UK, 115 paracetamol-related deaths were reported. According to Professor Sir David Carter of Edinburgh University, 1 in 10 liver transplants is made necessary because of damage caused by paracetamol overdose. While 20 paracetamol can kill you, even one is extra work for liver. If a person takes 6 a day and lacks the nutrients that help the liver to detoxify, this can reduce their ability to deal with other toxins such as alcohol. The combination of alcohol and paracetamol is very dangerous; Paracetamol produces a toxic by-product that can be broken down by the liver only if the body contains sufficient stores of the amino acid glutathione. If you run out, the result is trouble.
Many common drugs have direct or knock-on effects on your nutritional status. Antibiotics, for example, wipe out the healthy gut bacteria that manufacture significant amount of B vitamins. They also pave the way for unfriendly bacteria to multiply, which increases the risk of infection, thereby stressing the immune system. This can then lead to nutrient deficiency. Meanwhile the US national Institutes of Health estimated that more than 50,000 tons of antibiotics are used every year worldwide.”
Think about it , have a second thought the next time you want to take a paracetamol or an antibiotics.
Research on patients suffering paracetamol-induced liver injury has actually shown that those who took “staggered overdoses” over the course of a few days were a third more likely to die than those who took a single overdose, as part of a suicide attempt, for example.
Paracetamol is a nasty drug. You may poison yourself by mistake, but by the time you start feeling unwell you may be approaching the end of the (roughly) three-day window in which the antidote, acetylcysteine, can save you. Would-be suicides may take a handful of pills expecting to drift into a pleasant sleep, only to find that nothing happens. By the next day they may well have changed their minds about killing themselves – but it’s too late: the drug, by then, is already doing its best to destroy their liver.
Paracetamol is a hepatotoxin. As it is processed by the body, one of its metabolites starts to destroy the cells of the liver. This gradually leads to liver failure and, in some cases, death. Paracetamol toxicity is the most common cause of acute liver failure in Britain. It is not a medication to be messed with.
If the patient is too late for the antidote (which is given through a drip usually), and does not receive an immediate liver transplant, then death is extremely painful – there may be constant vomiting combined with abdominal pain. Providing added horror, in the case of a half-hearted suicide, are the feelings of remorse, anger and foolishness that are likely to beset the victim. As I say, it is a nasty drug, and it is very foolish indeed to exceed the dose stated on the packet.
Paracetamol Found To Be Ineffective
This year alone, we’ve written five times the numerous dangers of the seemingly harmless over-the-counter drug, paracetamol (acetaminophen).
In recent years, research has linked paracetamol to Alzheimer’s, dementia, liver damage and when used as a hangover treatment (even after drinking a small to moderate amount of alcohol) it increases the risk of kidney disease by a staggering 123 per cent.
Paracetamol lands 78,000 people in A&E every year and is the leading cause of liver failure in the US. Put plainly, it’s not as safe as doctors would like you to believe.
Ineffective… and that’s it!
One of the most common reasons your doctor might tell you to take paracetamol is for lower back pain. Believe it or not, no one ever took the time to find out if it really works for that.
So when researchers in Australia set out to prove how great this drug works for back pain, they got some really surprising results.
Lead researcher Dr. Christopher Williams summed up the results by saying: “Our results — based on over 1600 patients — provide clear evidence that acetaminophen is ineffective for low back pain.”
It’s not like Dr. Williams and his team didn’t try hard enough to prove the lower back pain benefits of paracetamol. In the group assigned to take paracetamol, they were told to take a daily dose of 3990mg!
A daily dose that high is pushing the envelope for needing a liver transplant… if you’re lucky… and yet, still, even at that super-high dose, paracetamol was useless.
All three groups in this study, the ones who took the giant liver-damaging dose, the ones who took the drug only when needed, and the ones who took a placebo pill, had similar results. It took them all the same time to recover, and they all reported the same amount of pain.
So the researchers said that maybe 4000mg a day of paracetamol would have been more effective! You can see they were really hoping this study would turn out differently… because it was financed by the pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
GSK manufactures the paracetamol drug Panadol, so you can be sure the company didn’t like these results one bit… And because the study was published in the prestigious journal Lancet, GSK wasted no time in chiming in. It said that the study shouldn’t change paracetamol’s status as the “first line” treatment for back pain.
What? Even if it doesn’t work?!
McNeil, the company that makes Tylenol, is just as unhappy. It said that doctors should “re-consider the study results,” whatever that means.
The fact is, this study adds to the many reasons for avoiding drugs that contain paracetamol. Our regular readers know that at best, taking paracetamol is a risky proposition. And taking 4000mg a day can be a deadly one because even the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said earlier this year that prescription drugs with over 325mg of paracetamol “are no longer considered safe.”
Now we also know that paracetamol is not only unsafe, it’s also ineffective.
Girl grows back face after paracetamol nightmare
An allergic reaction to paracetamol left Eva Uhlin’s entire face scabbed, while skin on her stomach also fell away
A Swedish teenager has grown back her entire face after she was struck down by a “one-in-a-million” allergic reaction to household paracetamol. Eva Uhlin was 15 when she was left unrecognisable after contracting Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, a rare skin condition that is potentially fatal.
Her nightmare began in September 2005 when she fell ill with a fever while on holiday in the Swedish countryside. She was advised to take a couple of paracetamol tablets, but the combination of the drug and her virus triggered a bizarre reaction.
The day after taking the paracetamol, Uhlin woke up to find blisters on her face and her body. She was admitted to the burns unit at the University Hospital of Linkoping.
Over the next few days she lost most of the surface of her face as her skin blistered and then turned into scabs. The skin on parts of her chest, arms, back and stomach also fell away. At one point the damage to her face was so bad her lips grew together as skin formed a scab over her mouth.
Four years later, Uhlin, now 19, has more or less recovered from the disease. She feels comfortable speaking publicly about her ordeal – which she describes as “like something out of a horror film” – and is happy to be photographed now that she has recovered her looks.
“When I looked in the mirror for the first time after it happened I didn’t recognise myself,” she said. “I was so ashamed of the way I looked. I hated anybody to see me.”
During her first 48 hours in hospital, Uhlin was examined by 15 doctors, as medical staff tried to work out what was wrong with her. They eventually worked out that she had Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, also known as Lyell’s syndrome, and that she should be treated just like a burns victim.
Professor Folke Sjvberg, one of the doctors who cared for Uhlin, said she had been lucky to recover from the condition, which he described as “very uncommon – it strikes only one in a million people”. Despite being extremely rare, it is deadly and can kill 40 per cent of sufferers.
Uhlin spent almost two months in hospital, as Folke treated her condition just as he would a burn injury, using a combination of pain relief drugs and fluid replacement. “You just have to try and make the skin function properly again,” he said.
His patient was able to leave hospital in October 2005 but has spent the past your years having regular check-ups as her skin has gradually healed. She still needs to take eye-drops twice a day and her skin remains sensitive to bright light. ·
Source – “NEW Optimum Nutrition Bible” – Patrick Holford’s